Are you one of those people who dislike using medication or drugs to treat their illnesses or disorders. Instead, you may choose to use holistic medicine.
What is Holistic Medicine?
This is a theory of medicine that focuses on treating the body as a whole, rather than just the affected area. This theory focuses on whole body wellness, and often has a focus on spirituality as well. It typically features natural ingredients and supplements that aim to cure the root of the problem, rather than treating the symptoms like traditional medicine tends to do.
Holistic medicine is useful in treating a wide array of symptoms and illnesses, but can it be used to stop a panic attack? Let’s take a look at what a panic attack is, and what type of holistic remedies can treat it.
What is a Panic Attack?
In short, it is a disorder in which a person is overcome by incredible strong feelings of anxiety. These attacks can be irritating and frightening, and a result of environmental stress, or can be caused by underlying problems.
There are many healthcare providers who practice natural alternative medicine. Whether you see a holistic doctor or a traditional doctor, it’s best to meet with a healthcare professional if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Extreme anxiety
- Racing or rapid heartbeat
- Hyperventilation or trouble breathing
- Excessive sweating
- Odd sensations in your extremities, such as numbness or tingling
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- A choking, closed-throat feeling
- Tightness in your chest
- Nausea or vomiting
- Hot flashes
- Trouble gathering thoughts
- Trouble focusing
- Difficulty making decisions
- Feelings of lack of control
- Urge to escape
The symptoms can be very serious, and potentially life threatening if they are the result of an underlying problem or medical condition. Fortunately, most attacks are the result of environmental factors and can be controlled with holistic medicine.
You could say that alternative medicine is useful for any type of anxiety because it employs a variety of natural, drug-free techniques to make you feel better and healthier. Let’s take a look at some natural treatments for panic or anxiety disorders.
Natural Holistic Medicine Treatments
There are many natural treatments available for treating any type of attacks. Some of the most popular and effective include the following:
- Herbal Supplements– Kava Kava and St. John’s Wort are very effective in the treatment of anxiety disorders. They act like a natural anti-depressant or anti-anxiety drug, and can reduce the frequency and severity of panic attacks.
- Dietary Changes– Holistic treatments focus largely on diet, with the understanding of what we put into our bodies effects what we get out of it. That is, our food affects how we feel.
Limiting foods such as caffeine, sugar, carbohydrates, and processed convenience foods can help control and reduce feelings of anxiety. Unfortunately, many people become addicted to caffeine without even realizing it.
Likewise, your body can become addicted to processed foods and sugar. Because of this, it is necessary to make dietary changes slowly. Start by cutting out one food a day, and watch as the health benefits manifest.
- Vitamins– Vitamins are other popular and effective home remedies for panic attacks. Vitamin B, Calcium, and Magnesium are all strongly recommended by holistic doctors for the whole-body health benefits they offer. They can reduce your symptoms over time
- Relaxation Techniques– The best thing you can do when you feel panicked is to practice relaxation. Techniques that you can use include breathing techniques, meditation, or engaging in other relaxing activities like warm baths or other soothing activities that you enjoy.
Therefore, you could say that panic attacks are completely treatable and controllable through the use of holistic alternative medicine. This natural outlook on medical care focuses on whole-body wellness and is useful in reducing symptoms that stem from environmental factors or poor lifestyle choices, such as a chemical filled diet.
By making the recommended changes, holistic medicine can help you control your panic attack symptoms, making it easier for you to live your life the way you want to, rather than the way your feelings of anxiety dictate. I will be going into further detail on a number of these natural remedies in later articles.